Wednesday, March 18, 2009

There's a Sucker Born Every Minute

Well, I guess I have to admit it...I have fallen prey. I'm not saying that I am above such things, but...I guess I am saying that I thought I was above such things. I don't consider myself a marketing genius by any means, but I do really make an effort to be aware. I actually think it's kind of fun. I make fun of my husband and daughter as they are sucked into every info-mercial on television. If I didn't watch them closely, the checking account would constantly be cleaned out due to "As Seen on TV" products. 

Anyway, here's what happened to me...the other day I had about 15 or 20 minutes to spare. My daughter and I stopped by the bookstore because I had been wanting to get a book on retail that I had heard about. I couldn't remember the author's name but I knew generally where the book should be and thought I would give it a shot. I go in and start scanning the business books, and low and behold....I'm attracted to the green books. Now by green I don't mean the books talking about the green industry, I mean literally the green books. This is something that I have been making fun of, marketers of everything from cereal to motor oil putting a green colored label on their product so the consumer will get the impression that the product is superior. Here I am...no better than a sheep. 

I hope that I am able to take this experience and learn from it. What do you guys say about this? Take a look in your pantry, or look at the magazines you've purchased recently. Is there a color trend? Don't let me be the only sucker out there!!!

If you don't shop or live here...you will.
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment