Monday, March 16, 2009

The Promised Review!

Well, first I really have to tell you guys I am sorry. I promised a while back that I was going to give you a book review, and I have been a real slacker. I haven't REALLY been a slacker because I have been very busy with work, which is a good thing, but I have been a slacker as far as reading great books goes. So here goes, my first official book review. 

Here's the back story ('cause it's kind of funny). Not long after I started my blog I got an email from a publisher asking me if I would review one of their new books. "What?" I said, "Are you kidding me? There's nothing in this world I would rather do than review a book!!" If my only job in the world was to sit around and read books, I would be one happy camper!! My husband makes fun of me because I'm either reading on the internet or reading books. I love to learn new things and every time he asks me a question that I don't know the answer to I'm looking it up and reading about it. I can spend an entire afternoon just hanging out at the bookstore. So when I started a blog and then got a free book in the mail to talk about....well, he thought he had lost me forever. But then a funny thing happened, it got warm and the business got busy! I couldn't read my book! Then he started asking me about it every day. "Have you reviewed your book?" I kept telling him I was getting to it....So here's my first review:

I'm an East Tennessee girl through and through. My parents were both born here. My father's parents were born here. My mother's parents were born in Georgia and Texas but were proud to call Tennessee their adoptive home. I've thought a few times of leaving, just to see what else is out there, but I don't think it's going to happen. We really have it all here. Just look at all of the University of Tennessee students who come here for school and never leave. 

William E. Hardy is a doctoral student at the University of Tennessee. He got his bachelor and master degrees from the University of Louisville, so I'm not sure if he is one of those transplants, but I think East Tennessee is in his blood now. According to the book jacket, he is a grant manager for the East Tennessee Historical Society. Now he has written a book titled, "Historic Photos of Knoxville". At first glance this looks like a really good coffee table book...then you open it up. Wow! What a wonderful pictorial history of our "Scruffy Little City". 

When you've lived here all of your life you feel like you've seen most of the pictures of Knoxville, but this book has some unusual photographs that I dare say haven't been seen in years. My 11 year-old daughter has really enjoyed the book, too. So, if you're new to Knoxville this is a great way to learn some history. If you've lived in Knoxville your whole life....I don't have to tell you, you already understand.

The history starts is 1859 and works its way up to 1982. That's a lot of history for one book. Don't expect a lot a background to go with the shots. I don't think you would be able to pick up the book if it had a story to go with every picture!! After all, this book is a history in PHOTOS, not words. Having only the photos is a great conversation starter, especially if you have someone older in your group. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little review. I hope some of you order "Historic Photos of Knoxville". I don't think you will be disappointed.
 

2 comments:

  1. Missy, I too thank this is a great book but then I'am a little bias.
    David Hardy
    William Hardy's Father

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Mr. Hardy. Let your son know that his book is proudly displayed on the coffee table and everyone who comes over enjoys reading it!!

    ReplyDelete