Sunday, July 8, 2012

Back to Rocky Hill


Owning a small business isn’t easy, but I know I’m preaching to the choir here. If you are reading this, chances are, you are a small business owner in Rocky Hill. Heaven help you if you are so bored you came across this blog by accident and started reading!! I haven’t posted on here in a long time because I’ve never been quite sure what we (the group of business owners in Rocky Hill) should do. I’ve wanted to organize some type of association, but honestly, I just don’t know how to go about it. The SHOP LOCAL movement is a big trend right now. Of course, it needs to be a lot more than a trend if we are to survive. I think that Rocky Hill is a great place for small business because so many people who live, work & shop here are owners themselves. I know that Bearden has it’s own business district association. They have First Tennessee Bank and the real estate company that manages many of the commercial spaces as sponsors. I’m sure that goes a LONG way in helping them with marketing costs. From the looks of what they are doing, it really looks to me like they are working with an agency? Does anyone know? Are any of you guys working with an ad agency or PR firm? Farragut has a SHOP LOCAL campaign, too. I noticed the other day that they have a Shop Farragut app now. 
The new Publix and Target will be a double-edged sword for most of us. We hope it brings in customers, but not just to their businesses. I think it will be good for us. I just think it’s important to make sure our neighbors remember to keep some of those dollars local. 
I would love to work with all of you on a SHOP LOCAL campaign for Rocky Hill/Northshore Drive corridor. Maybe we could plan a meeting/mixer to brainstorm? I know a lot of the business owners in the area, but not everyone. We all need to work on spreading the word. Let me know your thoughts. At one point I started a Rocky Hill Facebook page, but when they changed formats it went away. Maybe I should try to make another page, group, whatever so we could all see each other’s comments? Any input is appreciated. I’m not really sure what I’m doing at this point. I just think it’s something we should be doing. 
Missy Langley
Creekside Nurseries, Inc.
8718 S. Northshore Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment